Re: Will IR Illuminator work with any CCD Camera?

On 30 Dec 2006 19:28:31 -0800, wdoe999@xxxxxxxxx Gave us:

>I want to setup some night surveillance cameras.  I notice that some
>CCD night cameras have the IR LEDS right on the camera.  Do these
>cameras have anything special about them that makes them work well with
>IR illumination (do they have circuitry to switch to B/W etc).

IR illumination night vision cameras allow you to see objects the
illumination is cast on at night without being spotted yourself
(UNLESS IR IS USED by the other side as well)

  IR imagery cameras observe the natural emissions from any object and
do not need or gain anything from IR illumination.

  One is reflected IR light from surfaces which allow you to delineate
them from the reflections.  The other is a quantitative thermal image
composed from the levels of IR all the objects in view emit on their
own.

>The
>reason I ask is that I would prefer to use standard CCD cameras and a
>separate IR illuminator, and am wondering if they will work together
>properly.  Thanks.

  CCDs that are not specifically for IR must be worked on to get
there.  The baseline noise is higher so they typically like being
chilled.   They also utilize a germanium or other IR only transmissive
window in them.

  Regular cameras that claim to see in IR usually are pretty poor
examples of it.