Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:49:55 -0500, Marc_F_Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<vdnsp2hoohstnn9nvghp7lgdc2gucneo3t@xxxxxxx>:

>On 4 Jan 2007 21:17:26 -0800, "Greg" <gharrison2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>message  <1167974246.545417.217370@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:03:20 -0500, Marc_F_Hult
><MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
><4hlrp25qas7ec690eqa98cv4jfcerd1q7l@xxxxxxx>:
>
>>> As I've written previously in this newsgroup, an in-wall dimmer with a
>>> standard receptacle would be a violation of the US National Electrical
>>> code 110-3(B)+ 404.14(E) and bad practice to boot.
>>>
>>> And an in-line dimmer powering a duplex wall receptacle would also be a
>>> violation and should not be recommended for that and other good
reasons.

>>That makes sense.  Luckily the Insteon stuff only takes up one plug in
>>the outlet.  Gots to look forward to pulling the couch out another
>>couple inches :)
>
>Note too that the "inline modules" are effectively jist wall switches for
>which they charge but don't provide the front plastic parts. So one can
>turn any wall switch into an in-line module.
>
>I bought an in-line module and built it into my hardwired AC and lighting
>system so that it now powers an AC contactor (relay) which in turns in
>controls (ON-OFF) 20 amp duplex outlets outside the house. The inline
>modules aren't rated for 20amps and a short (eg from sawing through a
chain
>saw power cord) would blow out the TRIAC-based version rather than popping
>the breaker.
>
>>Eeek about the recall rate.  I got a $99 deal on the repeaters and the
>>dimmers, and they didn't come with the 7 year warrantee availability.
>
>The term "recall" conjures up circumstances and safety issues that didn't
>apply to most of the reasons for returning INSTEON products. And the
>one-year warranty has been sufficient to cover the issues entirely (at
>least in my case).
>
>The principle reasons for returning equipment has been to replace early

There may have indeed have been a principle involved, but my fingers should
have been sent to the principal's office for typing this ;-)

What software are you using/contemplating? I have found SmartHome's own
HouseLinc Desktop - 2416D to be useful. The major bugs have finally been
swatted in HomeSeer's 'free' INSTEON plugin, and the ELK M1G supports
INSTEON as a standalone controller that doesn't need a PC. The Elk, in
turn, is also supported by an HA PC controller running CQS or HomeSeer.

In my experience, these all now work well enough for daily use. HouseLinc
is the simplest and has the most tools for configuring, labeling,
trouble-shooting etc. There is other software out there, including
freeware/shareware, but these are the ones I own and am most familiar and
so can recommend.

HTH .... Marc
MArc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org