Re: X-10 RF meter (was Re: XTB II Review)

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Perhaps I missundrstood your earlier response, but I thought you had
>questioned my comment on using a module with a RSSI output.  I just gave
>this as an example that there are inexpensive modules with a true RSSI
>output.  I did not propose using this particular receiver for the X10
>sniffer application.  Even if it was tunable, its narrow bandwidth would
>still make it unsuitable for a sniffer.

I don't recall questioning any such statement. I usually quote any
statements that I'm commenting on or disagreeing with.

I really do not understand what you mean by "true" RSSI. I doubt the RSSI
output of the receiver you reference is an absolute measure of signal
strength in dBm, especially if the receiver has AGC. But without detailed
specs it's hard to say.

>Since I had an application that did need a good RSSI to maintain a table of
>access point signal strengths, I wondered if it is possible to get similar
>information from the received analog output.  Wouldn't that be dependent on
>the data pattern itself?

Aside from any effects due to AGC, how is the amplitude of a pulse
correlated with the data pattern?

http://davehouston.net