Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

"Greg" <gharrison2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The Insteon people say that there will be two networks in the home, one
>for automation, one for media, and that they will be non-interfering.
>Hmm, maybe that is why the HPCC HA stuff is last in their development.
>Perhaps they will merge with Insteon.

HomePlug actually has three separate systems. One is high-speed BPL (both
in-house and access), one is 200Mbps for streaming media, and the last is
low-speed HPCC. I doubt they will merge with Insteon - the tecnology is very
different. I haven't yet seen any projected costs for something like a
dimmer using HPCC.

>Wish they would make an in-socket wall plug, but they are probably
>wrestling with the conundrum of dimmer or switch.

That will probably come. In the meantime they have inline relays and dimmers
so you can accomplish more-or-less the same results.

>The Insteon people have continued to produce new products, and they
>offer a 7-year warrantee.
>So I just placed an order:

In addition to strong warranties they have a lenient return policy.
Unfortunately, you will probably need one or the other. They have a lot of
recalls.

>a powerlink usb controller, rf repeaters, dimmers and switches, finally
>after 20 years of research, hemming and hawing, and waiting!

Now, instead of hemming and hawing, you can start cursing the gremlins that
will surely arise. ;-)

>Thanks for your info.  It helped finalize my decision,
>
>especially you Dave, since you have a website full of X10 into and
>research, and still recommend the Insteon.

Good luck.

http://davehouston.net