Re: X-10 RF Freq Mod

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 08:21:53 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Y6udnclkm_5fwQfYnZ2dnUVZ_sDinZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

> "Just Another Joe" <address@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > With the Hawkeye in the room, pressing palmpad buttons often resulted in
> > no action.  When I removed the Hawkeye from the room, palmpad operation
> > returned to normal.
>
> You've just discovered the basic flaw of the Hawkeyes.  They do not simply
> detect your *first* entry into a room.  Every time you move, they put data
> on the line.

Actually discovered some years ago when I got them as freebies with an
x10.com order.  After trying them, this is one reason that I stopped
using them.

> Worse, still, is that you're almost always moving when you
> reach for a PalmPad or other controller, so the opportunity for collisions
> where a Hawkeye can see another X-10 transmitter are high.

Good point.

> I had hoped with the advent of the variable timer, they would simply detect
> startup motion and then not send another command until the timed period had
> expired, but instead, they keep on sending RF and X-10 signals as you move
> about in their presence.   That's quite enough traffic to step on commands
> from other controllers.  If you have any sort of logging facility like
> Activehome or a Monterey analyzer, you'll see the incredible increase in
> X-10 traffic as soon as even a single Hawkeye is put on line.

I seem to recall reading in this forum some years ago that the previous
model (MS12A?) worked that way.  Is that correct, and if so, what was
the reason for the change?

Using an Ocelot, one can have the Ocelot receive the motion ON commands,
and itself send the device ON/OFF commands.  The Ocelot will do the
timing, and will ignore the sensor's OFF commands, so the sensor can be
set to time out at 256 minutes (~ 4 hours), which will at least keep
most of those commands off the frequency.

Another brand of reasonably priced motion sensors has been found which
transmit on a different frequency from the x10.com ones, so they won't
interfere with the controllers (palmpads, etc.).  And they re-transmit
only every 30 seconds rather than x10.com's every 10 seconds, which will
help somewhat to keep the traffic down.

So, the plan is to use these other sensors in high activity areas, and
the Hawkeyes only in low traffic areas such as stairwells, which will
help to avoid collisions.

> Perhaps a circuit mod that disabled the PIR element until the OFF signal is
> sent via the Hawkeye's internal timer would help.

Yes.  Is such a mod possible, and does anyone know how to do it?

Another thought, if using another brand of sensor for motion, would be
to entirely disable the Hawkeye's PIR, and just use the Hawkeyes to send
dusk/dawn signals from areas you'd like to know the (very) approximate
light level of.  Anyone know how to do that?

--
Just Another Joe        Remove .windows to reply.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?