Re: Occupation sensor that works with people sitting still?

I saw that one several years ago.

> The multiplicity of calibration adjustments, which must be
> manually performed, can be confusing even to technical personnel"

That was exactly my point about the problems of detecting what is or isn't
an object whose placement should be considered when detecting "occupancy".
Having to constantly tell this sensor what's a valid interruption of it's
field just won't work in a residential setup.  It might work well for a
number of business settings but not in the home, at least not by itself.

None of this starts to be worthwhile  until there's an 'omniscient'
interface that can interact with the occupant without being intrustive.
Trouble is that level of unobtrusive interaction does not come cheap or
simple.  Vision, voice, temperature, pressure, behavior patterns, schedules,
sensors for these would have to all layer on top of each other before you're
even close to being acceptable on a mass market scale.  And that's not going
to come cheap or without all sorts of nonsensical controversy about
surveillance.

-Bill Kearney