Re: Fluorescent lght

No one has said CFLs _have_ to be noisy but many people have posted here and
in Smarthome's Insteon forum reporting that their CFLs _are_ noisy.

No one has said that CFLs _have_ to have high premature failure rates but 30
years of experience shows this to be an ongoing issue.

Having majored in economics and having run a multimillion dollar
international company, my calculations reinforce my opinion that market
economics will reward the low cost producer. Noisy, short-lived CFLs
probably cost less to produce than quiet, long-lived CFLs.

27W vs. 100W is a big difference but it depends on how many hours per day
you'll leave them on, on your electric rates, on how long they last and on
whether you need to add the cost of a filter to the equation.

The Department of Energy has figures on electricity end uses at...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html

They show that 8.8% of residential electricity use is for lights.

Another DOE page shows that residential use accounts for about 1/3 of US
electricity use.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/mer/pdf/pages/sec7_19.pdf

If you do the calculation, that means residential lighting accounts for less
than 3% of US electricity use.

If you replace _ALL_ residential lights with CFLs that use 1/3 as much
electricity, you reduce total electric use by less than 2% (while adding
mercury to our landfills). It's not practical to use all CFLs so the total
effect will be much less than 1%.

And electricity represents only a fraction of our total energy use (~30%) so
the reduction in greenhouse gasses attributable to the use of residential
CFLs is nearly unmeasurable and certainly inconsequential as regards global
warming.

The people pushing CFLs with slogans like "Change a light bulb, change the
world." are CFIs. (Determining the meaning of "CFI" is left as a reader
exercise.)

A quick glance at the tables in the first DOE link I gave above will reveal
several residential energy uses that make much better targets. (Replacing 35
year old refrigerators might be a good place to start.)

And, if you have a quart of single malt handy to drown your sorrows, take a
look at this...

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/stern_review_economics_climate_change/stern_review_report.cfm

http://davehouston.net