Re: Fluorescent lght

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:48:34 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in
message  <45d38213.2195091671@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Dimbo Spams" <cuervojose(remove)@jps.net> wrote:
>
>>One thing I have noticed though, is that when I have cfl equipped fixture
>>turned on the bulbs cause interference with the rest of my x10 modules.
they
>>do not respond to on off commands, as soon as I replaced the cfl bulbs with
>>regular incandescent, the problem went away, Is mine an isolated case?
>
>It's not an isolated case. There have been an increasing number of reports
>of CFL noise blocking X-10 and Insteon communication. You can add a filter
>but that substantially changes the economics (already iffy IMO) of using
>CFLs.

If you don't do the calculations, you can still have opinions, however iffy,
but they don't have much 'transfer value' (euphemistically speaking).

See the thread that Jeff Volp cites:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/d1f3bde6e5e0e30d/69c6dabcfddab8c3

and look for the quantitative calculations.

I also have CFL's in the basement of new  (not 10-year-old CFL's or El
Cheapos)  and INSTEON works flawlessly. Time to get out the scope again, this
time to look for something that may not be there. There is no reason why
CFL's _have_ to put excess line noise on the powerline.

As with the issues of hum, color rendition, and premature failure, years of
work have made for better CFL's.

http://web.mac.com/proteusmd/iWeb/Live%20Sustainably/CFL%20Bulbs.html

'Course one needs to identify and buy quality products that perform well
enough for _your_ purposes. If you buy incandescent bulbs at Bubba's Bargin
Basement that burn out prematurely -- damaging electronics as they go --  the
CFL's from the same source are also likely to be junk.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org