Re: Refrigerator monitor ideas?

While I've been skipping much of this thread (too much bickering), one
thing occurred to me...

The problem seems to occur when the coils "freeze up" and defrosting
doesn't occur or the drain tube is clogged.  When defrosting occurs
normally, it's clear that the moisture will travel down a tube, into
either a pan or a drain every day or so.

What if you used a moisture sensor where the tube drains?  I'm thinking
in particular, the type used as a rain sensor for an irrigation system.

It's got a spdt or spst microswitch, and disks that expand when wet.
The "trigger level" is adjustable (a set screw).

(the one I use I got from homecontrols.com, IIRC.  Here's one like the
one I use with my irrigation system:
http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/hci.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=2&prrfnbr=788&sesent=0,0&search_id=139331)

Adjust the trigger so that it only changes state if dry for more than a
day (or what ever seems correct for your situation).

Simple, with no controller involved, with delays based on how fast the
sensor dries out, and adjustable...  And no worry about how often the
door is opened...