Re: Swiming pool alarm

> Thanks for the reply...

You're most welcome.

> While I would prefer to comply with the
> code, as I indicated, this doesn't appear
> to be an option and still live the way I
> want to...

There's always a balance between personal
freedom and community good. I understand
the reasoning for the law and frankly, I make
a lot of money selling pool alarms in my
online store. They're a very popular item.
Nonetheless, I think the law is poorly written.
I'd like to see some flexibility for families
without small children. That's not likely to
happen.

> I had planned to do exactly as you
> described, but was hoping to find an
> alternative, code compliant solution.

There are ways that you can combine a
UL listed pool alarm with the ELK M1G
system.  You'd still have at least one
of the pool alarm units near the door.

GRI's 289 series has a switched voltage
output that can be used to trigger a
burglary zone on the ELK-M1G, eliminating
the need for duplicate burglary and pool
alarm sensors and wiring on the door(s).

There's also a "reset" output that trips
when someone pushes the button on the
289.  That can be wired to another "zone"
(sensing circuit) on the ELK to let the HA
system know you want to exit.  You could
use that to do things like bypassing the
security to allow you to access the lanai
without disarming the alarm, say when
walking the dog at night or whatever.

These are external connections and not
modifications to the UL listed pool alarm
so the inspector shouldn't have any issues
with them.

It could also do other cool things like
turn on the pool and lanai lights if you
touch the button after dark.

> I even sent a message to ELK describing
> the situation in hopes that it would get
> them interested in getting the needed UL
> certification.

As noted, the M1G carries a UL sticker for
a residential alarm.  Unfortunately, the
procedure for obtaining any UL listing is
time consuming and very expensive. Unless
Wade believes he can sell a lot more M1G
systems by doing so he's unlikely to apply
for additional listing.

> I really hate investing money in something
> like a separate pool alarm, just to meet
> a poorly implemented code, just to have
> to disconnect it later and replace it with a
> more workable, but not code compliant,
> solution.

I understand.  I have no small children either.
However, we have lots of parties and some
of our friends bring little ones so for us the
pool alarm is a necessity.  There were holes
in the original lanai floor to install a pool fence
but those things are such an eyesore that
we don't want one.  I had them paved over
when we redid the lanai with paver bricks
last year.

> Again, thanks for your input.

No problem.

--