Re: Home Wiring Question

> And what does an electrician, licensed to practice in your state,
> have to say?  What does the planning office say to the plans you've
> submitted?  Both are necessary if you ever expect your insurance to
> cover loss in the event the wiring sets the house on fire.

Bill,

That is not necessarily true.  Insurance policies are to protect you
from mistakes that cause fire, regardless if they're your own amateur
mistakes or professional mistakes.  Some insurance policies *might*
require that all work be performed by a licensed tradesman but most
don't (I've checked quite a few).

Needless to say, that doesn't mean you should just do "whatever"
without regard for code and common sense.  But anyone wishing to do
his own work can do so in almost every jurisdiction and still get
approval from the AHJ (inspector).  I've been working with DIYers for
many years.  Many do their own electrical work as well as alarms,
home automation systems, CCTV and whole-house entertainment systems.
It is extremely rare that we hear of an inspector giving grief solely
because the work is being done by a DIYer.  They want the work done
in accordance with code but a little reading, a dab of common sense
and a bit of help from someone with knowledge of the trades involved
will usually suffice.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass