Re: Home Wiring Question

Jim wrote:
> I (actually SWMBO) want to put an mid room outlet in a slab floor.  Plan is
> to remove the existing flooring (tile) and trench to a nearby wall outlet.
> I am assuming that current Elec. Code requires conduit in concrete.
> Anything else I should be aware of?  I know the area is clear of embedded
> pipes.

You might want to check out mineral insulated (MI or MICC) cable. It can
be directly embedded near the surface of concrete and has very good
current carrying capacity. I think MI cable for a 15 amp circuit is
about 1/4" in diameter so a 3/8" x 3/8" cut would be sufficient. As
always you need to check with the AHJ before using exotic materials.

This is a specialty item and fairly expensive. www.micable.com has a
price quote form and it might be worth the extra cable expense if you
can make a small trench that does not tear up the floor.