Re: d-day

On Dec 20, 1:47=A0pm, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> D is for dumb.
>
> The energy bill now makes it official that the sale of traditional
> incandescent light bulbs will be illegal in the USA in a few years.
>
> This article in U.S. News & World Report is far more accurate that those
> that have appeared over the past several months in the NYT and other
> publications. It gives realistic figures on prices and CFL life and cites
> actual facts about limited warranties.
>
> http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/economy/2007/12/19/faq-the-en...
>
> It's figure for the potential energy savings from a 60-70% reduction in US=

> energy used for lighting is very close to the back-of-the-envelope
> calculations I've posted previously on this topic. Texas uses 12% of US
> energy which is far short of the 22% and higher numbers spouted by the NYT=

> and certain eco-terrorists. And even the 12% is probably off by at least
> half because 2/3 of US energy is used by industrial and commercial
> facilities, most of which already use fluorescents or other high-efficienc=
> lighting, so there's little chance of actually seeing a 60-70% reduction -=

> 20-25% for lighting (6-8% overall and much less worldwide) is probably
> overly optimistic. That won't save many polar bears but the Philips
> lobbyists have certainly earned their fees.
>
> Of course, any reduction will affect the utilities' bottom lines so they
> will find ways (service fees, minimum bills, etc.) to recoup their losses.=

> http://davehouston.net=A0http://davehouston.orghttp://tech.groups.yahoo.co=
m/group/roZetta/
> roZetta-subscr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And nobody ever talks about the huge supply chain and energy use
behind making a CFL as opposed to bulb.  A bulb has what maybe 6 low
tech parts.  While a CFL has capacitors, transistors, triacs, mercury,
phosphors, plastics, etc. each of those which have more intense
manufacturing processes and more sub parts.  For the amount of energy
that goes into the total making of a CFL compared to a bulb, I'm not
sure but all those parts have to be made and trucked what is really
saved.  I think a market for incandescent bulbs will emerge and
smaller manufacturers will remain or startup, just like I can still
get vacuum tubes for my guitar amps, radios and stereo.  Not nearly as
good as the tubes made in 1960, but good enough.  Bulb making is
relatively easy and smaller manufacturers, I predict, will go into
that business as long as there is demand and the format of light
sockets is not gone.