Re: Shielded or Non-shielded Cat5e Cable???

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 04:43:57 -0800 (PST), ChrisAmies@xxxxxxxxx wrote in
message
<aa8c6bb5-6979-4bff-a85c-6e1cd65c7d7d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Hi all
>
>I've just got a new house and am about to run a couple of Cat5e cables
>to connect the main computers in the house.
>
>I have been given a box of Cat5e FTP cable which is shielded and a few
>non-shielded faceplates.
>
>I have read you have to use the shielded cable with shielded face
>pates.  Is this true and would it matter if I used it with "normal"
>faceplates???
>
>Thanks

As others have responded, there's no pressing reason to use shielded CAT5
for computer networking in a home environment. Shielded CAT5 is appropriate
for industrial applications with very high levels of electrical noise such
as a factory with arc welders.

There might be some benefit to shielded CAT5 for CAT5 cabling that is
pressed into service for analog (not computer) applications such
distribution of low-level (not speaker-level) audio. IME, surplus shielded
CAT5 is less expensive than 4-pair with shield audio cable but doesn't
provide inter-pair shielding.

Another property of shielded CAT5 that might be either a plus or minus is
that it is mechanically stronger (it can be pulled harder without damage,
better abrasion/cut resistance) but is less flexible  -- so you do have to
pull harder ;-)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org