Re: Idea for Cheap Alarm System

>> I'd like to have a simple alarm.  It could be as basic as a motion
>> detector that sets off a loud siren.  I think that would scare off
>> the
>> majority of intruders.  We come in through the garage, so I would
>> just  throw the circuit breaker to turn it off.  If anyone knows a
>> product like this, I'd love to hear about it.
>>
>> Then I started thinking about something a little more elaborate.
>> What
>> if you had a cell phone attached to the motion detector that could
>> be
>> set to dial a number if it were set off?  For example, it could
>> dial
>> 911 and play a recorded message saying the house address and there
>> was
>> a burglary in process.  Or it could dial my cell phone, and then I
>> could decide if I wanted to dial 911.  A Virgin Mobile cell phone
>> works out under $6 a month, much cheaper than a monitoring
>> contract.

There are a number of wireless systems on the market that can do much
of what you want.  Some integrate cellular technology for reporting.
Others (most) rely on wired phone lines.  There are some isues you
may want to consider though.  If the system could be turned off by
throwing a breaker it would be disabled during power outages.  In
some parts of the country power outages are a regular nuisance (not
unlike someone else who posted to this thread).  To overcome the
problem alarm systems incorporate a backup battery.  The system
trickle charges the battery until it's needed.

One simple to install configuration you mght find useful incorporates
a wireless sensor or sensors, a control panel (the system's brain)
and wireless keyfobs to arm, disarm or send a panic signal.  These
are sometimes used in himes where new wiring might be complicated or
cost prohibitive.

In addition to wireless systems, many existing homes can still be
fitted with hard-wired alarms, even by homeowners.  Most structures
can be retrofit with a bit of patience and a modicum of tool skills
so don't ignore that possibility entirely.  In fact, the majority of
alarms and home automation systems bought from our online store by
homeowners wanting a do-it-yourself solution are wired.  If the home
has an unfinished basement or attic, most if not all of the sensors
can be hard-wired without damaging the finish at all.  There are
simple "tricks of the trade" in getting a wire from point A to B.  I
routinely teach homeowners this stuff and have posted numerous
articles on the subject to this and other newsgroups.  Wiring an
existing home isn't for everyone, of course.  It's more a matter of
choice -- do I want to commit a weekend or two to the process vs
installing a quicker but more expensive wireless system?

As you may realise, it is illegal to program an alarm to auto-dial
911.  There is actually a federal statute though I doubt anyone has
ever been prosecuted for it.  The local police would probably issue
fines.  At the very least they would order you to stop sending
signals to 911.  Instead, you can have a system dial your cell phone
and/or several friends or neighbors.  The drawback is you, your
friends and your neighbors might not be able to respond effectively.
If you are out of town or asleep you might not even receive the call.

For many people the best solution is still to use a central
monitoring service.  Costs vary from around $8 a month to upwards of
$40 a month for essentially the same service so shop around if you
ever decide to go that route.  Beware of automatically renewing,
multi-year contracts.  You can easily get locked into these deals and
then find it's almost impossible to change providers if the service
quality stinks.  There are a few companies like 911Alarm that offer
UL listed monitoring on the cheap without long-term contracts.  Like
DIY providers (yours truly included) companies like 911Alarm compete
with traditional alarm companies.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass