Re: ESM1 X-10 Broadcast storm detector cradle

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:42:11 -0400, Robert Green wrote:
> Jeff Volp and I have been discussing, in another thread, the construction of
> a docking cradle for the Elk ESM1 model X-10 power line meter that would
> detect "broadcast storms" of X-10 signals.  These storms are typically
> created by stuck transmitter buttons and stand-alone controllers like the
> CM11A running wild.  When a broadcast storm occurs, the household lights and
> X-10 devices are typically frozen in their current state and cannot be
> changed remotely.  These storms, at least in my house, have a very low SAF,
> especially if they occur during a critical time, like when someone's late
> for work.

I've trimmed the idea of using a 555 circuit (that would work). Have
you considered using a small microcontroller chip? One that requires
no external components? Perhaps a PIC 12F chip? They're small, 8 pin
(Vcc, Gnd, 5 in, 1 out) and the external relay or maybe an opto chip
to separate the ESM1/CPU and external relay setup? The hardware is simpler
but now you've added software.

Not sure why you're not using the HA system to determine that you've
got a storm. You already have the controller and software. The same
signal in x seconds usually means storm.

Just a thought. :-)

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx