Re: CM11A lockup (broadcast storm)

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eLNzi.52605

<stuff snipped>

> The XTB-II works just fine as a high power TW523 when connected to a
> single leg.  Actually, it does a bit better because it recognizes
sequential
> and extended commands, which the TW523 cannot.

That's good to know.

> >> Yeah, not looking forward to rolling these features over into that
other
> >> PIC.
> >
> > Well, *I* am!  But I'm not the one doing the coding! (-:
>
> Lets just say I'm going to take a little vacation from coding after I
> finally finish the XTB-IIR.

A well deserved one, I'd say.

> (deleted earlier discussion on how the XTB-IIR will shut down its
> transmitter in response to a command storm)
>
> > I think it's a nice feature for the XTB-IIR to have, but I'd also like
> > have a unit dedicated to nothing but scanning for storms.
>
> You know how hot the CM11A gets when it is stuck in a continuous
> transmission mode.  The XTB-II transmits with at least 25 times as much
> energy.  So disabling the transmitter during a storm will prevent
stressing
> and possibly damaging the output driver stage.  That's why I'll eventually
> roll that feature over into the XTB-II PIC.

True serendipity-doo!  If I want to expand the broadcast storm detector's
intelligence, I'll tape a thermistor to the back of the CM11A so I'll know
where to look first in the event of a broadcast storm.

> >> Actually, it doesn't matter what the controller does as its output will
> >> be
> >> inhibited (if it interfaces through the XTB-IIR).  I remember an early
> >> post
> >> saying you couldn't find the cause of the problem because the XTB
> >> transmitted with so much power.  The XTB-IIR will just sit there
flashing
> >> its LED, and returning line traffic back the digital port.  It will not
> >> transmit anything until the line has cleared for 10 seconds.  It should
> >> be
> >> easy then to go around with a signal monitor to find out where the
source
> >> of the problem is.
> >
> > That was a concern of mine originally.  If the XTB stops repeating the
> > storm
> > it might be possible for the user to believe the problem was squared
away
> > when in fact the XTB had only stopped repeating the storm.  Having the
LED
> > flash when it's in this mode is a great idea as it gives immediate
visual
> > feedback that something's wrong.  If there's ever an XTB-III I would
> > suggest
> > adding more LED indicators like the ACT repeaters to indicate various
> > error
> > states like broadcast storms.  That's a personal preference, though, and
> > reflects a visceral dislike of one button (or LED) serving multiple
> > functions.  I realize that every hole that has to be drilled in the case
> > adds quite significantly to the cost of the unit, so perhaps it's cost
> > prohibitive on home manufactured items.  Even so,  I'm a big fan of red
> > LEDs
> > indicate a problem and green ones indicating normal operation.  Now that
> > think about it, you wouldn't have to drill more holes if you used a
> > multi-colored LED that can flash either red or green depending upon
> > polarity.
>
> I agree with you that more info would be useful.   It would also be nice
> provide DIP switches for the mode programming rather than the 9-8-2-X
> sequence.

I generally hate having to program X-10 modules that don't have codewheels
or slide switches.  It's not as much a problem with the XTB since I don't
expect to have to replace it as often as I do X-10 modules.

> I had considered a bi-color LED, but sharing the PCB limited what
> I could do.  The PIC being used in the XTB-IIR is already fully utilized.
> larger PIC would have forced tradeoffs I didn't want to make.

Boosting the X-10 signal is the main course, the rest is just gravy.

> FYI, I had thought about a XTB-III (3-phase version for Europe), but I
think
> this is the end of the line.  I would consider adding some intelligence to
> the plug-in version with surface mount components on both sides.  But that
> will only happen if someone steps up to the plate to offer it as a
> production unit.

Good luck with finding a sponsor.  Someone out there in the X-10 world must
realize the benefits of boosting the X-10 signal for their products.

> (deleted earlier discussion on modifying a lamp module as a storm monitor)

> > I'll bet it's even possible to design a snap-in storage cradle for the
> > ESM1 that has two photodiodes that line up with the built-in LEDs.

> Sounds like you have the solution in hand.

In mind, certainly, but not in hand, but I'll move that to a separate thread
. . .

--
Bobby G.