Re: How could a landline be re-routed?

Relax. The old Lucent answering machine is designed to turn on after 10
rings in case you left it off. It also has the listen in feature. Read
the manual on that one.  As for the line, it sounds like you live fairly
close to your office. Contrary to popular belief, there is not a single
pair of wires that runs from your home to the central office. Your line
could have been assigned a pair that was not dead at the other end. A
call to the telco should get things sorted out.