remote control for my computer

I have been trying to figure out ways of remotely initializing macros
on my computer.  There are remotes that are made for that purpose but
they are too bulky and have far more buttons than I need.  I need a
very compact remote with no more than 10 programmable buttons.  At
this point I will probably need to use either WinLIRC or Girder to
interface with the type of remote I am needing.  Which of these two
programs would be better and would they be compatible with this remote
and IR receiver:

http://www.x10.com/automation/kr22a_s.html

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_mr26a.htm