trying to set up some old x10 units -- having some problems

Sorry for being vague, I'll try to be brief. We installed some X10
wall modules several years ago and promptly didn't use the system :-).
Anyway, we want to get them working now so that we can have them timed
on/off.

Here's what I did -- ("*****" denotes errors/weird things
happening :-)
- 3 wall modules (I2, I3, I4)
- 1 lamp module (I5)
- attached computer interface CM-11A to computer, plugged into socket
- ActiveHome software installed, added each of those modules.
- tested lamp module. Worked ok.
- tested wall module I2 - ok
- tested wall module I3 - ok
- tested wall module I4 - nothing happened *****
- switched wall module I4 to A1
- tested again, nothing happened
- plugged in RR501 Transceiver, set to housecode A
- tested again, nothing happened except the transceiver turned off/on
(could hear the "CLICK!") *****
- put A1 back to I4
- put transceiver to housecode I
- tested again, nothing happened and the transceiver *didn't* turn off/
on *****
- checked electrical panel: I4 is on a different circuit than I2 and
I3, but on the same phase I believe (24 breakers, 1-12 on top, 13-24
on bottom, I2/I3 on 14, I4 on 24.
- plugged I5 into a plug on same circuit as I4.
- tested I5 -- NOTHING HAPPENED. *****

My son says we had a small device that used to plug into the serial
port (I can't find that).

Am I missing something that needs to be added to the system, or is
there something else I should be checking/doing to make this thing
work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.