Re: Occupancy detection

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The Maxbotic site
>
>http://www.maxbotix.com/MaxSonar-EZ1__FAQ.html
>
>described some of the platforms people are using for their sensors (BasicX,
>BX24p, Basic Micro, Atom, Wright Hobbies DevBoard-M32, AVR using Bascom,
>Parallax, Basic Stamp BS2).  Not one was an ADI platform.  Learning how to
>program a newer, more powerful microprocessor would probably have payoffs in
>other areas of automation that will need microprocessor control.  Ladder
>logic and leisure suits both had their day, but that day is gone, at least
>for me.

Ahh! I didn't realize that your new residence was going to be a cave. ;) It
will help with energy costs.

Ladder logic is used throughout industry worldwide. Its use probably
outnumbers higher level languages by several orders of magnitude. Its day is
far from done.

Comparing microcontrollers like those you've listed to ADI's system is
comparing apples and orange groves. ADI uses an RS485 network with a
protocol (published) of their own design. Expecting robotics hobbyists to
use an Ocelot is rather ridiculous - it wasn't intended for that.

If you're going to try rolling your own, look at...

     ZBasic - much more advanced than any of the stamp progeny you've listed
     BasCOM AVR - good
     mikroBasic - available for PICs, AVR. and other microcontrollers
                  available in C, Pascal, Basic, ???
                  (still evolving)

There's even a stamp-like module that uses ladder logic...

     http://cubloc.com/index.php

I doubt that Jeff Volp will agree with your anti-ADI screed.