Re: X-10 Broadcast Storm Detector (was Re: XTB-II Enhanced Repeater)

With as many remotes as you have, I can understand the problem of command
storms.  I don't think we have had one ourselves since the CM11A beta test
ended.

I would suggest trying to mod an existing X10 module to be a storm monitor.
Candidates would be the X10 chime and universal modules.  It might be
possible to replace the custom IC in one of these modules with a PIC
programmed to act as a storm monitor.

The XTB-II LED monitors 120KHz gate drive to the power stage, and only
flashes when the transmitter is active.  It doesn't light in response to
powerline activity unless the repeater is enabled.

The fact that the XTB-IIR drives with so much power is the reason why I want
to inhibit its output in response to a command storm.  That is something
that can also be ported over to the existing XTB-II with a PIC firmware
update.

Jeff