Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

In article <1177958482.892992.259410@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, graftonfot@xxxxxxxxx (Mr. Land) writes:

| Dan,
|
| What would you think about trying some sort of high pass filtering
| from either leg of the 2 pole breaker feeding the heater to ground?

You can get that in a UL-listed package as, e.g., the Leviton 6285
(though that isn't quite how they intend it to be used).  I would
be inclined to try the 0.1uF capacitor across the switch first.  If
it works that would be strong evidence for noise.  Since you have the
scope you might want to take a look.  While the scope won't decode
the X10 bits it might show you a steady noise source.  Beware that
if you have the original ACT Scope-Test (as opposed to the "2" version)
it may be too selective to be useful.

Trying the CR234 might be a good idea as long as it isn't too old.
(Older ones didn't handle extended codes.)

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com