Re: HA Primer - Pos and cons of X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, UPB

>> If I understand the mesh network and max hops
>> principles correctly, that paragraph is just total BS.
>> The range is as far as max hops allows, and not
>> a hop further....

The range is roughly 30 per hop indoors.  If the
controller is located in the center of the house,
a 4-hop signal can travel 120' in each direction.
If this were a round house (not very common)
the maximum area would be ~(3.14 x 120^^2)
which is 45,216.  Hence the theoretical limit of
40,000 sf.  With an 8-hop system the limi
quadruples to 180,000 sf.  Again, this is for a
round home.

A more typical though still very large rectangular
home 200' in length and 80' deep would have a
hypotenuse a tad over 215'.  A centrally located
controller could handle that theoretical 16,000sf
home in 4 hops.

I submit that any system capable of handling a
16,000 sf home is more than adequate for most
of the folks we meet here in CHA.  I will post
(with permission) to a new thread a few articles
on Z-Wave which readers here may find of
interest.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass