Re: HA Primer - Pos and cons of X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, UPB

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>If I understand the mesh network and max hops principles correctly, that
>paragraph is just total BS.  The range is as far as max hops allows, and not
>a hop further.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I seem to remember they
>limited the max hops in the first place primarily because network latency
>increases with each added hop.

Your understanding is correct. There's a neat little video on the Intermatic
InTouch site that illustrates the difference between 4 hops and 8 hops. I've
cited it before. Most two-way networks put some type of limit on the number
of transmissions - Insteon has a max limit, TCP/IP has a "time to live"
limit. Otherwise, in addition to increased latency, a signal that was
neither ACKed nor NAKed would echo forever.