Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

In article <4632cb4f.1393007156@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) writes:
| "Mr. Land" <graftonfot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|
| >I have a theoretical question for those of you with a lot of PLC
| >experience: if I plug in some device known to eat X-10 signals, would
| >I expect to see the same drop in signal level at all of the outlets on
| >that phase?
|
| No. Signal sinks tend to be somewhat localized with outlets nearby or
| downstream most affected.

Jeff has suggested that signal sinks can reduce the signal as seen at
the panel/repeater (either by taxing the repeater's power supply or by
causing a drop across its output coupling network).  I've never seen this
happen in practice, but it could provide a mechanism for non-local effects.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com