Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

On Apr 25, 7:21 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> grafton...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >Apparently the HCA02 is performing its repeater function quite well.
> >But what's puzzling is that with the coupler in-circuit, closing the
> >breaker for the water heater apparently has no visible effect on the
> >signal coupling as shown by the ESM-1 at the breaker panel, even
> >though I've repeatedly confirmed that it debilitates my control of my
> >front yard lighting.
>
> >Shouldn't I expect to see a big drop in Phase B signal with the water
> >heater circuit connected?
>
> What does the "X-10 Good" LED on the ESM1 do when the HCA02 and water heater
> are active?
>
> Also, as Jeff notes, for the tests you need to make sure the water heater
> element is actively conducting (i.e. heating the water) by cranking the
> thermostat up.

Drat, I didn't think to check the status of that light.  I'll do that
next.

Not sure why I would need to ensure the water heater element(s) are
active.  This failure condition started occurring immediately after we
installed the new water heater, and has consistently happened with the
breaker on, while the X-10 operation has consistently gone back to
normal with the breaker off.  I've tested it many evenings, and, as
unbelievable as it sounds, I'm pretty confident that the water heater
was not active during those times.

As I stated in other replies, though, I'll try to confirm this
somehow.

Thank you for your help.