Re: Questions about Smartlinc 3-way Companion (Slave) Switches

In article <1338652@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) writes:
| In article <JrCWh.3937$j63.1067@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nospam@xxxxxxxxxx (eegorr) writes:
|
| | Does anyone know how these things work?
|
| The slaves for the original SwitchLincs were the same as PCS's (and a
| couple of other brands); in fact, they used to ship the PCS version
| before they had their own.  A slave sends positive or negative half
| cycles on the yellow wire depending on which way you push the paddle.
| This is implemented with two diodes.
[...]
| I'll have to check if I have any 1135s so I can see if they are the
| simple two-diode ones.

Ok, I don't.  But I did find a genuine 2382W and popped it open.  It
uses the two-diode scheme described above.  There is also a 33k series
resistor (which is probably in the others and I just forgot).

| [...]
|
| | 1) The nightlight LED (at the top of the switch) does not light on the
| | 1135W, whether or not the yellow wire is connected.  Is this right, or
| | should this LED be lit whenever power is connected?
|
| The original slaves that I describe above had the LED on all the time; it
| was just a night light.  The 2382's page mentions blinking in response to
| X10 commands, so it might be something different.  It could also be a
| mistake taken from the generic SwitchLinc description.  If the 1135 is
| the original slave the LED should be on as long as power is connected,
| independent of what you do with the yellow wire.

The LED in this 2382W is across the line with a series diode and pair
of dropping resistors.  So it would be on all the time and the text on
SmartHome's page is probably just a mistake.

So, if the 1135 is something completely different then you can always
get a PCS of Lightolier slave.  Otherwise maybe there is a wiring problem.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com