Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

In article <LXPWh.68402$VU4.57947@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, JeffVolp@xxxxxxx (Jeff Volp) writes:
| "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
| > In article <9iqVh.322422$5j1.206155@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
| > JeffVolp@xxxxxxx (Jeff Volp) writes:
| >
| > | That was an easy test to do - just confirmed an old Leviton 6299 does
| > flip
| > | the phases.
| >
| > That certainly confirms the behavior I saw.
|
| I wanted to follow this up.  The SmartHome SignaLinc 4816H apparently
| consists of nothing more than a 1.uF capacitor and 18 uH inductor in series.

Is that a .1uF capacitor?  That would give about the right resonance
frequency with standard components.

| So, that drives both legs in phase.

I'll bet it would have worked a lot better for me than the 6299.  I
also noticed that we went through approximately this same discussion
10+ years ago, e.g., see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/msg/7e7815cbb7cae2e8
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/msg/e2ec87fedbbecadc

which suggest that either there was a different 6299 or else Phil Kingery
wasn't aware that it flipped the phase.  Oddly, in the Hometoys article
Dave referenced earlier in this thread, the simplified schematic of the
passive coupler appears intended to flip the phase but Phil still talks
about the problem of 240V devices as if it did not.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com