Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

In article <5YVUh.313769$5j1.279572@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, JeffVolp@xxxxxxx (Jeff Volp) writes:
| "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
| > In article <tqSUh.312813$5j1.241452@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
| > JeffVolp@xxxxxxx (Jeff Volp) writes:
| >
| > | A heavy electrical load across the two phases normally helps X10 signal
| > | distribution, so there must be something more here than just the heater
| > | element.
| >
| > He mentioned that he has an "active phase coupler."  If by that he
| > means what we normally call a repeater and if the repeater is of a
| > design that drives the two legs out of phase then a heavy leg-to-leg
| > load will diminish the apparent signal level as the carriers interfere
| > destructively.
|
| Hi Dan,
|
| I had thought of that, but I didn't think any repeater would drive the two
| legs out of phase due to that exact issue.  Any 240V resistive load, such as
| a dryer or stove, would squash the signal.  But it is possible...

The only repeater whose circuit I've traced (ACT CR230) drives them out
of phase.  My understanding has always been that this is the standard
practice in order to accommodate 240V modules which would otherwise have
a difficult time seeing the signal.  I assume it is also the reason for
the standard warning about using a repeater in conjunction with the
blocker/coupler.  Have you ever encountered a repeater that drives the
legs in phase (ignoring your own designs, of course :)?  I have the
original Leviton unit (i.e., the one before the one before the current
one) but I'm not sure it's worth the bother to take it apart and trace
the circuit.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com