Re: Ruling May Be End for Vonage; Judge Enjoins Use Of Key Technology

"Thomas" <tauzinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> > U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton approved the request by Verizon
> > Communications for a permanent injunction two weeks after a jury in
> > Alexandria found that three of its patents had been infringed by Vonage,
> > including one for the technology allowing the Internet company's 2.2
million
> > customers to call regular phones."
> >
> > What's that slogan from their ads?  One smart move . . .
> >
> > --
> > Bobby G.
>
> One more reason to sign up with ViaTalk.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

Oops.  I accidentally deleted the URL (cough, spam, cough)

was it: http://www.batterphone.org  or was it

http://www.bitterphone.org

or maybe http://www.bettorphone.org

Why would we think your access to the phone network is any more protected
than Vonage?  I suspect you're just a much smaller player in VOIP that
Verizon hasn't "gotten to" in the first wave.  Sometimes, all a company has
to do is punish one patent infringer *severely* for the others to just die
from shock.  The judge in the case just enjoined Vonage from signing up any
new customers.  My lawyer friends tell me that's the kiss of death.  Vonage
lives or dies depending on whether Verizon wants to be nice or not.  If
Verizon *had* been willing to settle for a percent of Vonage's income, they
wouldn't try to keep Vonage from getting new customers.  It's clear they
want them for dinner, not as partners or even serfs paying up some huge
tithe.

When the big fish, Vonage, is all eaten up, Verizon's lawyers will doubtless
cast their nets into the Internet ocean to sweep up the remaining small fry.
The irony is, the more customers you sign up, the bigger the damages Verizon
can sue for when they finally file suit.  Maybe it was
http://www.battlephone.org  (-:

--
Bobby G.