Re: X10 replacement?

"RickR" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Cheap to start, is not the same as cheap to do all the fancy stuff.
>And Joerg says X10 could be all of those, if they would only listen to
>him...  ;-)

X-10 has donme fairly well for about 30 years without listening to Joerg or
anyone else.

>You're right that I'm asking for the ultimate, and any real world
>solution will have compromises. If there was an obvious answer I think
>I would have heard about it.
>
>But that said, what is the state of the market today? Who gets closest?

I think Insteon gets closest as far as light/appliance control in terms of a
reliable PLC protocol. And their prices are competitive with X-10 but it
remains to be seen whether they can deliver acceptable quality at those
prices. The fact that obvious and easily fixed design flaws have been
carried over from earlier designs is worrisome. And I don't recall seeing
anything to indicate they plan to do AV or security.

Homeplug AV purports to do multiple simultaneous HD video streams over the
powerlines but I've yet to read a convincing real world review.

Some security systems have Insteon interfaces so your best bet is to look at
doing your own integration.

I've never thought that AV and security should be integrated with
light/appliance control at the hardware level. AV requires some heavy
computing power while the others can be done with simple, inexpensive
harware. Security really needs to be a standalone function for reliability
and liability reasons. After all the only reason to have a security system
is to get a discount on your insurance - it will not deter the typical
burglar.