Re: X10 replacement?

Hello Rick,

> So many systems, and not enough time to play!
>
> Everyone wants to be the X10 replacement but who is the closest?
>
> I'm looking for:
> * Cheap to start. No central controler at $500+ and not huge for a
> simple retrofit. What is the cost for a single dimmer and 3way pair? (I
> once saw a retail price sheet for Lutron RadioRa that listed a single
> basic dimmer at $395.00. I laughed so hard it hurt.)
>
> * Flexible! Must be able to grow a system to handle a whole house of
> lighting, devices, and timers. AV control integration, security systems
> and all of that should be possible. I'm biased towards lighting control
> but the ideal system covers it all.
>
> * RELIABLE of course, itherwise I'd just stick with X10! Everyone
> claims to be reliable but only a good track record counts as proof. Hot
> new products come and go every day!
>
> Let the ranting begin!

So far I haven't seen anything to wrote home about.

X10 is a poor protocol and old. However, if only the receivers would be
designed right it could perform a whole lot better. Just a few examples:

The input filter, if, ahem, that can be called a filter, has the
passband slope of a barn door. It's really no big deal to fix that.

A simple AM detector over the whole passband doesn't cut it. That
probably is why the sensitivity has been kept so poor. A I/Q detector
followed by a nifty "seek, catch and track" locking could improve this
big time while still being able to track older transmitting devices
where the frequency setting is sloppy (allowing +/- whatever kilohertz
from 120kHz).

Vendors have to grow up and realize that people are using compact
fluorescents. The old dimmable wall switch modules don't cut it anymore
and there needs to be a low cost replacement, not just by a few luxury
brands.

This and a lot more can be fixed to make X10 acceptable for use by
non-engineers. IOW by people who simply won't know what's happening or
what to do when the hallway lamp won't turn off anymore. The stuff needs
to make it into the Lowe's and Home Depots of America, else it's always
going to be a niche product.

AFAICT I don't see such improvements happening.

Oh, and the X10 site needs to lose that nasty popup stuff. To me (and
certainly lots of others) that looks unprofessional.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com