Re: Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

Bill Kearney wrote:
>>While I agree with Mr. Kearney that it's better to "do it right" in the
>>first place, I seriously doubt a length of wire would pose any more
>>hazard in a fire if it was located on the outside of the siding or
>>underneath it.  I've never heard of a cable acting as a "fuse".  There
>>are far more combustible materials used in home construction and I doubt
>>the "fuse factor" would be pose any real issue.  I mean, by the time it
>>gets hot enough to ignite FT-4 or FT-6 rated jacket, the vinyl siding
>>would be ablaze as well.
>

> Suit yourself, quite possibly 'law-suit'.
>
> Code exists for a reason.  It's all a bunch of little stuff, but much like
> the death of a thousand pinpricks, it's the little stuff that adds up.  Just
> because your one wire isn't a problem doesn't mean it won't become part of a
> larger problem later.  I've seen and heard tell of all sorts of wiring
> stupidities, some DIY, a fair bit by "professionals".  I'd rather avoid
> doing something lazy on the premise it "might not" be a real problem.
>
> Really, your home is probably the most expensive investment you'll ever make
> in your life, why screw around with it?  Why put your life and your money at
> risk?  Just to be cheap/lazy?  Honestly, it makes no rational sense.
>
> But hey, feel free, someone's gotta keep the firemen, lawyers and morgue
> clerks busy...

OK.  Glad you got that off you chest.  I still have serious doubts that
a "hunk" of wire could become a fuse though.

Now before you go off on another "tangent", I too, have seen the
"results" of DIY "inspiration" when it comes to running wire.  If you
honestly don't know what you're doing in the first place, listening to
some "nimrod" on the phone for two hours explaining the "how to's"
probably won't help either.  What might take you three hours (and a
whole lot of frustration) to do would take a seasoned installer (with
all the right tools) about fifteen minutes.  I think your house (and
your piece of mind) is definitely worth the two hours the guy might
charge for a "complex" run.