Re: X10 programming from PC

"Geordie"wrote:

> I tried out Test Communications on ActiveHome's Tools menu - no
> response from the CM12.  Replaced the CM12 and everything works again!

In my experience the CM11/12 is the most unreliable piece of junk you can
buy.  I've been using ActiveHome recently, like Geordie, and have found that
after a few downloads of "timers and macros" the CM11 just stops responding.
There are clearly problems with the software in the CM11/12, and it's
appalling that the manufacturers haven't fixed it after all these years.

However, if you unplug it, remove the batteries and wait, refit the
batteries, plug it in and start again it works again.  Obviously a software
lockup.

My suggestion to Geordie is to do that, rather than replacing the unit, when
it goes wrong next time (which it surely will).

Incidentally, I'm pretty unhappy with ActiveHome.  It's a 16-bit application
which hasn't been updated in years, and has a very clunky look and feel to
it.  I tried Harmony, but it looks like it's been put together by someone
who's just learned Visual Basic so, like Geordie, I also will be writing my
own control program.

Geordie, what programming language/environment are you using?  I was gonna
use Delphi, with which I'm reasonably familiar.

Thack