Re: Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

On 13 Sep 2006 12:57:28 -0700, sonofabitchsky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>tljones@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out the best path, other than drilling and the
>> time consuming process of fishing/drilling through floors, to get a RG6
>> cable and Cat5e cable from my attic to my basement.
>>
>> I have heard that you can run plenium Cat5 down environmental vents
>> without any issues.  The sewer vent runs from the attic to the basement
>>  and is the only direct path I can see.  The pipe is 2" and is used for
>> my sump pump in the basement. I was going to cut the pipe and use a 45
>> degree capped splitter for the wires in the basement to avoid drilling
>> ugly holes directly in the pipe.
>>
>> Is this NOT a good idea?  Any restrictions on if I can do this with RG6
>> or Cat5E?
>>
>> I'm in Georgia, if that helps any in regards to code.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Tony
>
>Why not go wireless?

Wireless hardware is more complex, and so less reliable. It is harder
to set up computers and other devices. Range is limited (and reception
can be intermittent and subject to interference), but still is likely
to provide physical access when it's not wanted (security
vulnerabilities) so requires directional setup (WPA and such), which
increases setup time and decreases available bandwidth.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster