Re: Smoke alarms (was Re: For Graham, Rober, and Coppernob)

"Frank Olson" <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> If you consider installing unsupervised smoke detectors into an alarm
>> system (which is contrary to code) "doing it right", I can understand
>> why you would say that.  If you don't mind that the system won't
>> respond to a fire if the AC power goes out, go right ahead and advocate
>> such "rightness".

I don't think anyone was claiming that if they hook AC smokes to a security
panel, it makes the panel a device that you should rely on for fire
detection.  THAT IS WHAT THE INTERCONNECTED AC SMOKES ARE FOR!

Now, if an installer claimed that by using a relay the system will always
properly respond to a fire, I see your point.  But, as in my personal case,
I am fully aware that my security panel is not a primary fire alarm system.
Period.  That is what I rely on the smoke detectors for.  And there is no
code that states I must have an alarm system that automatically dials out
when there is a fire.

> "NFPA 72-2002 11.7.6.7  Installations that include the connection of
> single- or multiple-station alarms with other input or output devices,
> such as but not limited to relay modules, remote signaling devices, phone
> dialers, security panels, heat detectors, and manual pull stations, shall
> be permitted, providing that an open or short circuit of the wiring
> leading to these input or output devices does not prevent normal operation
> of the single- or multiple-station alarm."
>
> Care to point out the relevant code which states you *can't* hook up an AC
> smoke alarm to an burg/security panel?  Care to point out the relevant
> code which states that connecting a smoke alarm (or detector) to a
> burg/security panel makes it a fire alarm system?
>
> Please don't use the definition of a "fire alarm system" as a basis for
> any reply.  It doesn't qualify.

Ok Robert -- you keep on harping that anything connected to an AC smoke
alarm automatically makes it part of a fire alarm system.  Your argument
ONLY holds water if that is true.  Care to quote the relevent code that
states that?

Frank has quoted (multiple times) the code that says it is within code to
make such a connection (and it doesn't automatically make it a "fire alarm
system").

So the ball's back in your court, Robert.  It's totally up to you to see if
you can return it.

Kurt