Re: Need speed switch for DIY funicular/hillside elevator

Thanks Dave.  Each cable is rated at 8,000 lbs and the cart is 1,000
lbs fully loaded on a 29 degree slope, so yes, 2 cables is way
overkill, but since our wheels were on round pipe we thought it would
also be beneficial to have the alternate cable to prevent listing from
one side or the other as the cable changed positions on the drum.

We originally were going to use the other drum as a counterweight, but
we discovered our motor and gearbox powered everything so easily with
no strain (even the lights in the house don't flicker when it starts,
like my HVAC compressor does), so we went with the 2 cable design.  We
weren't as concerned of overloading a single cable as much as we were
long therm exposure to the elements and constant use.  I guess a wear
break was a larger concern.  So, IMO, I disagree with it being a design
flaw, although it may be over designed.

I do agree with the KISS methodology however and having it constantly
inspected.

We did have the drum assembly professionaly built by machinists that
build drums as part of their business.  My dad, who designed and
contracted out the metal work insisted on using that supplier instead
of a normal machine shop, and I fully agreed.

A winch solution may be a solution for something like this, but it
wouldn't make sense to scrap what I have already to solve for a
scenario that should be unlikely, but not impossible to happen.
Thanks.  Jeff