Re: Need speed switch for DIY funicular/hillside elevator

Thanks Robert.  Yes, I'm thinking more and more of a solution like
this, but I'm not as concerned of a breaking cable as I am the
freespool event.  Each cable is rated at 8,000 lbs.  The cart fully
loaded would be around 1,000 lbs at 29 degree slope.  At this slope,
the load would be about 500 lbs per cable which is 1/16 the max load of
a single cable.  So if one cable were to fray and break, the other can
handle the load easily.  I have them going through pulleys, but there
is also a backup attachment to the cart, so if one cable breaks it will
still have an attachment to the other cable.

But, it is possible I think to have the 3rd cable as you mention with a
springed arm of some sort that would "grab" the cable if the tension of
the primary cables released.  I suppose I could adjust this "trigger
point" by adding additional springs such that the trigger tension was
almost to the point of catching.  If I were to set it up such that the
trigger locked and wouldn't let go, I'd run the risk of someone
jostling the cart when they get on, releasing some tension and
triggering the lock.  Perhaps a scaled approach that the less tension
the greater the "grab" would work, if that makes sense.