[no subject]

So in my opinion the part you are lacking is the over speed detection
and braking of the drums.

I would consider solving the problem by having a third outboard disk or
drum (like a car disk or drum brake) that has shoes that are held off
electrically (either directly or indirectly via hydraulics) I would
then pulse count the rotation of the drum to calculate the speed and in
the event of over speed set the brakes. Correct operation of the pulse
counting could be verified during the first couple of seconds of
operation otherwise the brakes should be applied. You could probably
source most of the bits using the anti locking brake system off a car.

I would also provide some form of dampening on the cable, probably in
the form of a small car coil spring, rigged up in line, with the cable
ends passing through it so it is working in compression. This will stop
the cable from potentially whipping should the braking be a bit sudden.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Cheers

Rohan

--
rhamer

'HAMFIELD' (http://www.hamfield.com.au)
Industry Supplier of Automation Solutions
for the Home and Small Business.
Authorised 'CQC' (http://www.charmedquark.com) Integrator Partner.