Re: Need speed switch for DIY funicular/hillside elevator

I hve found reading this thread most enjoyable and commend you on your
work to date.

I am slightly confused as to what particular problem you are trying to
solve, although I guess it all falls under the general heading of
"Saving your passengers from running out of control down the hill"

I think you have to decide where the reasonable points of failure are
and accept that other potential points are ruled out due to good
design. This will then determine where and how you need to provide the
appropriate braking mechanism.

Already you have decided that a single cable is an unacceptable single
point of failure and so you have duplicated it. Given that each cable
is rated at many times the actual load I would consider that 2
simultaneously broken cables to be such a small possibility that it
could be safely ignored (however I have not seen such things as the
attachment points at top & cart). Consider the chairlift as an example
of a single cable design.