Re: Need speed switch for DIY funicular/hillside elevator

Since the brakes will be on the car, its the weight of the car "pulling
against" the cable that will hold the brakes off, it doesn't matter if the
cable is sagging in the middle, its still holding the car and the brakes
will be held off.

It could be as simple as the cable passing through a correctly rated coil
spring at the car and attached to a lever that will hold off the brake, when
the cable is attached to the spools and the spools are winding or unwinding
normally the weight of  the car will compress the spring and  release the
brake, if the spools are unwinding  uncontrollably  or the cable is broken
then there will be nothing for the car to "pull against" and the spring
would expand and the brakes will no longer be held off.

Doug