Re: Home Automation Qualifications...

Frank,

Frank Olson wrote:
> Roy L Butler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do home automation consultants/installers/owners need to be licensed
>> as perhaps electricians or some other kind of contractor in order to
>> perform business?  If not a requirement, would the choice effect
>> company liability insurance costs?  The area is Los Angeles, if it
>> varies district-to-district.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
>

> You are required to have a C-10 Electrical Contractors License.
>
> C-10 Electrical Contractor
>
> An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any
> electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways conduits,
> solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit,
> transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.
> (832.10 CCR)
>

> Your employee installers/service guys are required to be licensed
> electricians.  Here's a link that may prove helpful.
>
> http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ElectricalTrade.htm
>
> Good luck!!

Thank you very much for the excellent link!

Kind of along the lines of what I asked in the other great response, in
addition to taking/passing the exam:

1) Is apprenticeship (electrician trainee) necessary?  It's not 100%
clear to me that it is, even after reading this:

	http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU/4b.html

2) Are taking courses in a recognized school necessary?  I think I would
do this in either case, but would like to know for sure.  From the site
it sounds like it is, but I'm not seeing it as a requirement in a quick
look here:

	http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ecu/ECU_TestInfo.htm

Thanks again!
Roy