Multiswitches and Multisatellite Dishes

I need a lesson in multiswitches.  In particular, I need to understand if a
multiswitch will solve my problem, or if I have to invest in and mount a
second satellite dish and run more cable.

My situation:
I have a DirecTV multisatellite dish antenna.  It views three satellites and
provides four coax outputs.  This allows the connection of:
1) Up to four receivers, or
2) A two-input DVR and two receivers, or
3) Two two-input DVRs.

I currently have case #2.  If I now want to upgrade one of my receivers to a
two-input DVR, it seems that either I must forgo the second input, give up my
other receiver, or mount another antenna and run more cable.

Or do I?

A typical 5x8 multiswitch can receive from 5 inputs and provide 8 outputs.

But will this work with DirecTV?

I was under the impression (right? wrong?) that each satellite transponder
transmits on both of two possible polarizations.  If so, then my triple LNB
dish actually receives 6 "signals" (3 satellites x 2 polarizations) and only
provides 4 of these 6 at a time.  In this case, a multiswitch helps but
doesn't completely solve anything.

What solutions are available?

While I am at it... what's up with 22 KHz Tone Generators and multiswitches?

--
Ian Shef     805/F6      *    These are my personal opinions
Raytheon Company         *    and not those of my employer.