Re: X10 AGC and Insteon

I agree.  The problem isn't glitches, which only contribute a few counts.

The apparent sensitivity of the XTB-II can be varied by changing the
threshold of the comparator.  Default at power on is zero threshold, which
can detect very low signal levels.  That works well here, but I don't have
any continuous noise.  Increasing the threshold turns it into an envelope
detector, perhaps similar to the CM15A.

The XTB-II only "listens" to the powerline during the 650 uS reception
window defined by X10.  Applying AGC, it would take a burst with sufficient
amplitude in that window to be detected as a "1".

The conflict I have is what to monitor to set the threshold level.  The
various methods all have their advantages and disadvantages.  Monitoring
everything outside the Insteon/X10 window may be the best approach as long
as I ignore a few high-level transients.

As you said earlier, the real problem is continuous background noise.  All
the methods will deal with that.

Thanks again for your input.

Jeff

> Both X-10 and Insteon chose the area around ZC on the theory there is less
> transient noise there but, if you are counting transitions (or looking for
> carrier phase difference) to determine logic 1 or 0, transients should not
> be that big a problem. As you say, it only causes a few pulses to be
counted
> which is unlikely to change a logic 0 into a logic 1. The problem comes
from
> continuous signals that should be present most of the time and without
being
> limited to the area around ZC.
>
> The CM15A which uses gated AGC does not count transitions. It uses a
> low-pass filter, "listens" to the powerline only during the 1mS after ZC
and
> its AGC Reset line goes low for 1/2 cycle at the end of each 22 bits (or
62
> bits for extended codes), draining the AGC capacitor. That approach makes
> sense when looking at the data envelope but not when counting transitions.
> don't know whether Leviton, who introduced "gated" AGC counts transitions
> but suspect not.
>
> "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for your input Dave,
> >
> >Monitoring line noise here with a scope, most noise does not occur in the
> >X10 sample window.  The most significant noise is from large transients
that
> >occur near the waveform peak.  Then there is a 200mV glitch that
> >periodically walks its way through the 60 Hz waveform.  Finally, I see an
> >occasional high frequency burst that seems to be about one cycle long.
It