Re: X10 AGC and Insteon

Both X-10 and Insteon chose the area around ZC on the theory there is less
transient noise there but, if you are counting transitions (or looking for a
carrier phase difference) to determine logic 1 or 0, transients should not
be that big a problem. As you say, it only causes a few pulses to be counted
which is unlikely to change a logic 0 into a logic 1. The problem comes from
continuous signals that should be present most of the time and without being
limited to the area around ZC.

The CM15A which uses gated AGC does not count transitions. It uses a
low-pass filter, "listens" to the powerline only during the 1mS after ZC and
its AGC Reset line goes low for 1/2 cycle at the end of each 22 bits (or 62
bits for extended codes), draining the AGC capacitor. That approach makes
sense when looking at the data envelope but not when counting transitions. I
don't know whether Leviton, who introduced "gated" AGC counts transitions
but suspect not.

http://www.davehouston.net