Re: Whole house generators (slightly OT)

 Steve wrote:
> "BruceR" <razrbruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Enduring Sunday's 6.5 earthquake was no big deal... I only lost one
>> picture window.  The real hassle was being without power for 16 muggy
>> hours.  If that happened very rarely I'd be happy with my little
>> 6000 watt Costco special that runs the reefers and a few lights.
>> However, Hawaiian Electric Company's newest generator is 30 years
>> old and they just haven't kept pace with growth on the island. That
>> results in ever more frequent outages lasting up to 30 hours
>> (recently). So, I think it's time for big honkin' generator to serve
>> the whole
>> house. I've been looking at the Generac line and I'm considering a
>> 35,000 watt unit to serve my 200amp home.  I'd appreciate any info
>> or suggestions that any of you have to offer.  I'd like to run it
>> off Natural gas with LP gas as a backup.
>
> You have natural gas in Portlock?  Not many neighborhoods in the
> island do. My family members were down for about the same time, and
> it was no fun.

Portlock Rd is one of the rare areas on Oahu that has underground NG
lines. While Hawaii Kai does not have gas lines, the gas does come all
the way up Kalanianaole Hwy to Portlock.  I used to have NG when I lived
on Niu Iki Cir too which is also right off Kal Hwy by Niu Valley.