the ElkM1 "RP access code": a sham?

I am really wondering what the purpose/ functionality is of the ElkM1
"RP access code". It appears to have NO functionality, and that
whatever it is, the M1 will recognize it as valid. I am doing this
type of test:

Using the ElkRP remote programming tool from a remote location, I
start off connecting to the M1 as usual; then I disconnect, and change
the "RP access code"; then I try to connect again, and ... the M1 lets
me! What's going on? There must be something I don't understand with
the "RP access code".

TIA. Leo