Re: roZetta Status

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:46:33 GMT, "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <d1BVg.1012452$084.554890@attbi_s22>:

>Rosetta is real I saw it a 12 days ago in the British Museum...

One of life's first mind-blowing experiences for me.  I was about to turn 15,
and was walking down an aisle in the British when this 'thing' loomed in the
way of the general pedestrian flow. Looked to see what it was ... and Yikes!

*Nobody* can read hieroglyphics, right? ... Ain't that kinda what
"hieroglyphics" means? Suddenly them stories and tall tales 'they' rattled on
about in books became believable. I remember it dawning on me that my father
and grandfather were scholars of ancient Greek for whom the phrase "it's all
Greek to me" meant that they could translate hieroglyphics !

A reminder of how much hard work is needed to really 'own' the tools needed
to understand things deeply (like learning Latin to learn Greek to learn
ancient Egyptian), and how easy it has become for folks to Google up a few
factoids and pop off.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org