Re: X10 replacement?

Hello Marc,

>>Maybe I just couldn't find them but the only remotes I see for Insteon
>>were these four:
>>http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=85
>>
>>No handhelds, no pocket remotes, no key fobs. Does anyone else make
>>those? I can hardly imagine HA without handheld remotes. My wife would
>>certainly not approve, that's what sold her on HA.
>
> So far, ABIK, INSTEON is effectively powerline-only except for the phase
> coupler-repeaters. The RF side may or may not happen.

If RF doesn't happen I don't think they'd have much of a chance in the
marketplace. Just my humble opinion.

> But there's absolutely nothing preventing one from using another RF or IR or
> laser, or RFID, or acoustic, or voice protocol through an interconnected
> controller. In my system, I already have RF fobs (with much better security)
> through the Napco (and Elk), and IR of all sorts through a whole bunch of
> simple interfaces including Slinke. Why would I want Yet Another Interface
> from INSTEON ?

Ok, but think about the public. About people who aren't HA experts. They
can't make that work unless SmartHome tells them letter by letter "This
is how you set it up, these are the parts you need to buy and this is
what it'll cost you".

There needs to be a plug-in transceiver and small remotes. Keeping a PC
running isn't an option in most cases. Another reason why you need a
plug-in interface: Keychain remotes might yield 100-150ft in range, if
that. In practice houses like ours contain aluminum foil backed fiber in
the walls. So you need to be able to plug the transceiver into an outlet
that you can reach with the remote. If I plug ours into an office outlet
we can't turn on the lights for the ping-pong table anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com